There's nothing quite like getting a rip-roaring fire going to grill up some steaks that brings out your inner caveman. With these grilled steak recipes, you will be able to make easy, healthy, and delicious dinners at any time.
Steak Is Healthy!
First off, I want to allay your fears. I used to feel bad about eating steak because I thought that all red meat was inherently bad. With all the cholesterol and fat, it just had to be unhealthy, right?
Well, it turns out that fat isn't bad for you. From the French to the coconut-devouring Tokelauans, many cultures have thrived on high fat diets without the high rates of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other maladies that we suffer from today, so that can't be it.
Additionally, cholesterol shouldn't be a concern of yours either. Your body will produce cholesterol to make up for any that you cut out of your diet, and besides, half of heart attack patients have been found to have normal cholesterol levels.
My point is that steak is actually a health food. So get some red meat and fire up the grill!
- Steak of your choice
- Salt and pepper
- Set up your grill for high direct heat. You want to be able to put your hand over the grate and need to pull it away after 2-3 seconds.
- Rinse and pat dry the steak. Sprinkle salt and pepper over both sides.
- Throw the steak on the grill, turning once. Here's a guide for how long each side should be:
- 1" thick steak: 6-9 min first side, 3-6 min second side.
- 1 1/2" thick steak: 7-11 min first side, 4-8 min second side.
- 2" thick steak: 9-13 min first side, 6-10 min second side.
I always urge people to learn the basic recipes first, so that they can improvise to add new things to it and come up with literally hundreds of new recipes. Here's some things you may want to try with your steaks:
- Marinate the steak overnight in the refrigerator in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar, salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Cover the steaks in a dry rub before grilling. You can use a pre-made variety or simply make your own with the dried spices you have on hand.
- Top off the steak with olive oil and lemon juice or a compound butter by mixing softened butter, parsley, and garlic.
With these grilled steak recipes, you will be able to make the most out of your grilling time before the snow starts to fall.